Looking for a tasty baking project? Then making homemade bagels is a great choice! Enjoy that freshly-baked, chewy yet crisp texture you’d expect from a bakery, but in the comfort of your own home. With just a few ingredients, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at just how easy it is to craft these classic breakfast treats.
7 cups Water (lukewarm)
½ cup Red yeast
¼ cup Salt
½ cup Sugar
8 Cups High Gluten Flour
- Using your dough hook attachment, mix all dry ingredients and slowly add water. Once gluten is fully developed (roughly 7 minutes), let dough rest for 10 minutes
- Scale bagels to 5oz each. Stretch to add your desired topping i.e. bacon, cheese or jalapenos, then roll into a very smooth ball.
- Place rounded dough balls onto a sprayed sheet pan. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Just before placing dough in simmering water, punch your thumb through the dough and make a hole about triple the width of the bagel.
- Drop dough into simmering water one at a time, simmer for 1 minute, flip and simmer for an additional minute.
- Remove from water using a slotted spoon and place on a lined sheet pan.
- Egg wash the bagels and bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes.
- After you place the sheet pan in the oven, toss about a ¼ cup of water on the bottom of the oven, close the oven immediately- this will steam your bagels.